Friday, April 29, 2011

Wiper Motor

After getting the window motor to work, I took a look at the windshield wiper motor. It was not working either. While it was attached to the car, I noticed that its ground wire was missing. I added a new one but that didn't help. So I took the motor home and cleaned it.

Before
After
It took me a long time to figure out how the motor should work. And to get it working... I took it apart three or four times before I found the problem. Luckily I also found this Willcox Youtube video that explains a lot:

It's not exactly the same motor but functions in the same way. But still, no matter how I connected the wires, the motor would not turn. Finally I noticed that there was a small metal strip on the circuit board inside the motor. The board and the strip had small metal studs that seemed like they should be touching each other, but weren't. I bended the strip so the studs touched and voilĂ , the motor worked perfectly! I still can not understand why there had to be the strip and the studs? The connection could have been made by just soldering a wire to the board... Oh well, at least I knew the motor worked but the wiring harness in the car didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment