Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Center Console

As another small project at home I cleaned the center console. It was pretty dirty and chrome was pitted. First I cleaned and painted the AC controls.

Before
After
Unfortunately someone had dropped a cigarette on the plastic screen and it had melted a bit. I would have changed it but didn't have a spare part at the moment and didn't dare to pry the metal clips that held it in place. I they would break, I would have to replace the whole controller. Later I also found out that the grooves in the chrome should be painted black. It covered most of the bad chrome.

The console itself was also dirty, pitted and rusty. Also the wood veneer was peeling in places. I sanded the rust, cleaned the chrome with Autosol Metal Polish, glued the veneer and painted the parts again.


The console was also missing the engine data plate so it needs to be ordered later. Otherwise the parts were perfectly usable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment