Monday, May 16, 2011

New Year

After christmas and new year, we continued our Corvette project. Luckily the apartment had a large underground garage where we could store the car and work. There was no heating but it had a door so temperatures were not much below freezing even during winter. You did need a lot of clothing and had to work hard to keep warm though.

Now I could also do stuff by myself so I started going through the smaller problems. I tested the electrical stuff and found that most of the original relays were not working. I had to get new power window relay, alarm relay, heater relay and, as previously noted, indicator flasher. I also took the targa pieces home, cleaned them and changed their weatherstrips.

During epiphany holiday we disassembled the rear of the car again to replace the bearings. This was quite easy because there were no rusted bolts and pretty much everything was already new. We got both spindle supports out during one evening.

Even with snow and ice on the floor, we got the spindles out.

My friend had to take the parts to his job where he could press the bearings out. After this was done, he also confirmed what we had feared earlier. You could remove the passenger side bearings from the spindle by hand and driver side needed a press. After checking the spindle, he said that someone had used an angle grinder on it to make is smaller. I guess that someone did not have a press and had made changing the bearings easier. Luckily driver side spindle was in good condition so I only had to order one new...

No comments:

Post a Comment