Friday, May 6, 2011

Driver Door Fiberglass Fix

A small part of the "lip" in the driver side door opening had broken off. While my friend started changing the bushings in the front upper control arms, I started fixing the fiberglass. As there was a 90 degree turn in the part, I cut and bended a small piece of sheet metal for support and used rivets to attach it to the body.


Now that there was a good support for the fiberglass, I put on my rubber gloves and breathing mask and started applying the epoxy. This was my first time using the stuff but it proved to be pretty easy. Oh, and the smell was really horrible! At times I hoped I had a better breathing mask...


The epoxy remained usable for about 30 minutes and then I left it to harden for couple of days. After this I cut and sanded the extra fiberglass off and smoothed the surface.


The result was pretty good in my opinion at least :) I still need to apply some bondo, sand it smooth and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment