Monday, May 23, 2011

Power Steering Cylinder

My friend took the control arm to work so he could prepare it for reinstal. While waiting I decided to take a look at the power steering cylinder. It was leaking some oil so I bought a repair kit for it. But first it had to come off the car. This proved to be more difficult than expected. The ball joint was badly stuck and I had to go and buy a pickle fork. Finally that worked even though there was not much room for hammering under the car.


While working with the cylinder, I noticed some corrosion in the rod. Most likely it had been sitting in one position for some time and water had gotten between the seals. I could only hope it wouldn't start leaking again even with new seals. Finally I repainted the parts, filled the ball joint with fresh lubricant and reinstalled the cylinder. It has not leaked since.

No comments:

Post a Comment