Monday, May 16, 2011

Rear Wiring Harness

While waiting for parts, I decided to check the rear wiring harness. Lights were working however and whenever they wanted and the car was burning fuses faster than we could change them. I looked under the car and saw a bunch of loose wires that were cut and reconnected here and there. Everything looked so hazardous that I removed the whole harness and took it home.

It didn't take long to see that the best thing to do was to replace the whole harness. I guess I had too much free time as I decided to use the old connectors and build a new harness myself. I searched around to find as correct wire colors as possible and spend a few night with a soldering iron. Then I taped the harness and connected it back to the car.

After this we got rid of some electrical gremlins, but not all. All rear lights worked but one went dark again later. This was caused by broken lamp socket. I replaced it with a new part and everything worked again. Light fuses also stopped burning so at least something was fixed. I also noticed that the alarm horn was in pretty bad shape. I didn't even connect it yet as I was pretty sure it wouldn't work anyway. The horn was in quite difficult place so it would have to be replaced after I figured out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment