Thursday, June 2, 2011

Brake Caliper

While the control arm was off the car, I decided to take a look at the brake caliber. It was leaking so I got it off the car.


I dug the pistons out an quickly found the reason for the leak. One of the dust covers was loose and there was dirt under it. This had ruined the seal. I also noticed that the piston was pitted. Not badly but I decided to replace it anyway. I changed the seals and bolted the caliper back to the car. Unfortunately things didn't go so smoothly....

While I was bleeding the braked, the pedal suddenly went soft. I went to see the caliper and the same seal was leaking again. Off came the caliper and I cheked the piston holes. It seemed that someone had sand blasted the caliper and had not protected the cylinder walls. I had seen this but hoped that they would be smooth enough. They weren't. In the end I bough an used caliper and put it together with a second set of seals. Finally, after bleeding, I had working brakes on the car!

Oh, and naturally I wanted a better looking caliper. I bought some silver Hammerite paint and got a pretty good result. I would have to see how long the paint would last...

No comments:

Post a Comment