Monday, June 13, 2011

Engine Tests Continue

In August I had my summer holiday but I also bought a house that needed some restoration. I spent my whole vacation with the house so I couldn't help my friend at all. He also just had a second child so he didn't have much free time either... But I think he has more hours in hes day than I, so he did manage to put the engine back together.

He lapped all the valves in the heads and then put all the parts back together. Then it was time to fire the engine up again. Unfortunately something was wrong as it was running with only seven cylinders. This was caused by stuck lifter. Luckily it did not break the valve... By adjusting the rocker it was possible to make the engine sort of work with all cylinders but the lifter had to be changed in any case.

Now that the engine was running, the cleaning started. He ran cooling system cleaner through the engine multiple times until only clean water came out. Most likely the engine had been standing with only water in it for some time because a lot of brown sludge was found inside.

Finally it was time to test the running temperature again. Aaaaand the engine overheated even when just idling. No matter what he did, the engine just wouldn't stay cool. He added some electrical fans, changed the water pump etc but nothing helped.

While working, he also tested the compressions from the cylinders. They were about 11 bar (160 psi) so the valves seemed to be tight. We were running out of ideas. Some part was not working but we didn't know which one. We just would have to start changing parts and hope we wouldn't have to change the whole engine...

No comments:

Post a Comment