Monday, June 13, 2011

Engine Surgery

My friend started going through the engine after getting the car. One good news was that water had not actually mixed with oil but the fault list was long anyhow. Head gasget had burned, the water pump was full of sludge, exhaust gasget was blowing, little oil was leaking from the oil pan, thermostat was missing etc.

He got the first head off during the first night.


It seemed like the engine had been overhauled not so long ago. Block had been bored 0.060" over, pistons seemed new and honing marks were still clearly visible. I guess the engine had not been used much after the rebuild. As if that had been possible anyway...

In the end of July I went to see the engine. Both heads were off but no obvious reason was found for the overheating. Water passages did have some sludge, water pump needed to be replaced and thermostat was missing but we weren't sure if these would be enough to cause the engine to overheat this badly.

In the end, we desided that I would buy the missing parts and my friend would go through the heads. Then we would put the engine back together, flush the cooling system and hope it would solve our problem.

I also checked the casting numbers from the different parts. Block was 3970010 and heads were 338882. Nothing special. I also took a few pictures from the engine internals.


No comments:

Post a Comment