Monday, June 20, 2011

Swapping Cooling Parts

We started to get pretty frustrated with the engine as nothing seemed to work. Water passages were now clean, the engine had a new pump and thermostat, radiator had two electric fans, ignition was fine etc. We tested pretty much every tip I got but the engine still overheated while idling on the yard. And this was already November 2010 so temperatures were below freezing.

Then it was time to switch parts. We started with the radiator as that was the easiest to change. Our own seemed to work fine but we did the test anyway to be sure. I borrowed a working radiator and drove it to my friend. We drained the cooling water and swapped the radiators although my own seemed to be in much better condition... Naturally this did not help and the engine overheated again after running about 10 minutes.

This at least confirmed that the problem was inside the engine. I was almost ready to go and buy a new engine but we decided to get the heads off one last time and take a look. Maybe the block just had been bored too much and this caused overheating. Or the block or heads were cracked. I got a tip for magnafluxing the block to see if had cracks. For now I returned the radiator and my friend started taking the engine apart yet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment