Monday, August 15, 2011

Dash Speakers

Before we could drive the car to the other garage, I still needed a few parts for it from the US. While waiting for them, I desided to install some speakers to the car. There should be some plastic brackets for them in the dast, but naturally they were missing. So, I had to build new ones myself.

A friend of mine works in a company that imports Kicker speakers to Finland so I had already bought some 4x6" speakers from him. They were the same size as the originals so they should fit but just needed the brackets. I desided to use fiberglass to make them as it should be a perfect material for it.

First I placed some cardboard to the speaker opening and covered it with foil. This way the fiberglass would not get stuck to the dashboard. Then I cut the fiberglass to suitable pieces and placed down three layers of it.


After the epoxy had hardened, I used a saw to cut out extra material and a file to smooth the edges. I didn't sand the whole thing smooth as it would not be left visible. I did apply some black paint just to hide the bracket a bit. In the end it worked as planned and I had some speakers in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment