Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Frame Number

Before I could get the car registered, I needed to add the vehicle identification number (VIN) to the frame. I had borrowed letter and number punch tools for this and went to work. The number should be on the passenger side front frame so I decided to put it in the wheel well. I removed the wheel, cleaned the frame a bit and started hammering. It was quite difficult to get good lettering because there's not much room to swing the hammer but at least I got some kind of markings to the frame. I hope it is acceptable.

Next I cleaned some of the wiring in the engine bay. The AC wires had not been taped up yet so I did that. I also noticed that the heater motor did not work any more. It was time to dig out the multimeter again. I tested the wires and it seemed that the wires coming from the AC control panel were cold. Most likely some connector had come loose when attaching the center console. *Sigh* I guess I need to remove the cover panel and take a look. Luckily I don't have to remove the whole console.

Final job for the night was adding the other wheel well carpet to the trunk. Again I removed the interior panels and seat belt and placed the carpet in. I wonder who had cut the carpets because the shape of this one was all wrong. I trimmed the carpet a bit, cut a few holes for the belt fasteners and put everything back in. Finally a complete carpet set was in!

Only one more mandatory fix left before I could try to register the Corvette! The headlamps were pointing in random directions and would have to be adjusted. The problem was that I didn't have an alignment tool so I would have to get temporary plates again and drive the car to someone that did...

No comments:

Post a Comment