Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Final Preparations For Registration

Today, after work, I drove to a vehicle inspection office to reserve a time for the registration. People had recommended a place in Tuusula but after getting there, the price was over 300 euros! I had asked around before and had heard offers of about 150 euros so I decided to call a few places. After a few phone calls, I had an inspections time for tomorrow at 10 am. Cost was about 140 euros. Still expensive but only half compared to the first place.

Now that I knew where drive, I could get the temporary plates. You need to specify every trip you plan to make to get them. Today I needed to visit a friend to adjust the headlamps and tomorrow drive to Vantaa for the inspection.

I got home and started doing the preparations so I could drive the car. I emptied all unnecessary tools and other crap from the car and then bolted the seats back in place. Then I put some other tools that I might need on the way in the car and added some coolant. Now the car was ready to go!

The 15 km drive went without incidents but I did find a bug. The wipers got stuck between the hood and the windshield! They didn't fit between the gap there. I would have to check it out in the evening. Adjusting the lights took about 5 minutes and after chatting a bit, I started driving back home. And another problem appeared: the starter motor still turned slowly when the engine was hot! The heat shield didn't work...

I filled the gas tank on my way home and also noticed that the fan was on. So the fan and sensor were working! Yay! I got home and started the final tweaking. First was the wipers. I had changed the blades and the new ones were a little higher that the original. Now the wiper arm got caught to the hood. The blade retainer was made of plastic so I just cut it a bit until the wipers cleared the hood. Just barely but at least they worked.

Second thing was tuning the hood a bit. It didn't always close properly so I tweaked the locking mechanism. When it worked, I added some window washer liquid and was done for the day. And hopefully ready for the inspection.

Exciting to see whether I get plates tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment