Monday, September 5, 2011

Heater Motor, Shifter Cable and Parking Brake

On the next couple of days I continued with the fixes. I filled the power steering pump with fluid and tightened its belt. Then it was time to move to the electrical problems. I removed the shifter cover plate to take a look at the AC controls to get the heater motor working. I couldn't see any loose wires and was getting a bit worried. Until I noticed that the AC control wheel was in 'off' position. I turned it a bit and immediately the motor started running! I guess I don't know how the car works yet! :D

While the cover was off, I also took a look at the shifter back-up light switch. The back-up lights were not on when the shifter was in reverse. I noticed that the switch could be adjusted a bit by loosening two screws. Unfortunately one of them was in really tight spot and I couldn't get it open. The switch moved a bit with just one of them open but not enough. In the end I couldn't get the switch working properly. I would have to take a look again later.

While I was working with the shifter, I also desided to adjust the cable. The transmission and the lever didn't seem to be in sync so the cable needed some tuning. I checked my Chilton manual which instructed that I should put the shifter in 'drive' and then adjust the transmission lever. I tried this but couldn't get them to work better. I gave up for now and decided to take a look at the parking brake.

I jacked the rear up and removed the wheel. I released the parking brake and turned the adjustmend screw until I couldn't turn the spindle any more. Then I backed the screw a bit until the brake wasn't locked any more and put the wheel back. Finally I had to adjust the brake cable a bit and hope this fixed the problem.

Later I read from a discussion, that I should put the shifter to first gear and then adjust the transmission lever. Oh, well. I'll have to try that and also take a look at the back-up switch again later. These adjustments shouldn't take long and then the car should be ready for the second inspection.

No comments:

Post a Comment