Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Windshield Sealing

When I had to drive the Corvette in the rain, I noticed that the windshield was leaking quite badly. The glue holding the top trim in place had perished and was letting water through. I lifted the trim a bit and there was almost nothing left of the seal. I didn't want to remove the whole windshield so I decided to use silicone to seal it.

I bought a tube of silicone that had the best temperature tolerance, cleaned the windshield edge and squeezed the stuff under the trim. Then I clamped the trim and left it to dry for the night. Next evening, it had set nicely and I just needed to clean the edge a bit. I have not tested if the windshield is completely waterproof yet but it should be much better that before at least...

Also notice the cars mascot hanging from the mirror :)
New Air Cleaner

My car also had a "bug eye" Edelbrock Pro-Flo #1002 air cleaner. What I read from different discussions, they are really restrictive pieces of s*it that might burn your car down. Even though at some points of this project, burning the car down seemed like the best option, now I didn't really want that any more ;)

I was a bit worried if a normal air filter would fit under the hood. I did a small test with some clay by placing it on the current air cleaner and closing the hood. This way I got the current clearance, which was more than I had feared. So I went and bought a new Edelbrock #1223 paper filter that had a dropped base and should fit under the hood.

I only had to turn the fuel line a bit from the carb so the base would fit over it. After installing the cleaner, I checked the hood clearance again. It was about 5 cm in the lowest point. So plenty of room left. Hopefully this new air cleaner will flow better that the old one.


No comments:

Post a Comment